CCAS Complaint Process

If you have a concern or complaint, the Catholic Children’s Aid Society of Hamilton’s internal Complaint and Review Process (Process outlined below) offers a fair and open method to have your concerns or complaints resolved. We encourage anyone with a question or concern to speak to their worker first, the worker’s supervisor, or someone else at the Society. But if you do not want to first speak to them or if speaking to them does not answer your questions, you have the right to start a formal process to complain to the society at any time.

At any time during the Complaint and Review Process, you may bring another person with you for support or to help interpret your concern if you are more comfortable communicating in a language other than English. Please note that the Complaint and Review Process will not be used for issues which are currently before the court or matters that are subject to another decision-making process under the Child, Youth and Family Service Act or the Labour Relations Act.

Internal Complaint Review Panel (ICRP)

To begin a review of your concern or complaint with the ICRP, you must put it in writing and send it to the Director of Child Welfare at CCAS of Hamilton. In accordance with regulations, CCAS will respond in writing within seven days from receipt of the complaint to determine if your complaint is eligible for the ICRP review process. CCAS will notify you in writing about the decision and reason for the decision. If the complaint is eligible, you will be invited to meet with the CCAS’s Internal Review Panel within 14 days of the agency’s response letter. The panel chosen by the Executive Director of the agency will be comprised of senior agency staff not involved with the family and a person not employed by the agency (this could be a member of the Board of Directors of CCAS.) You may bring a representative with you to this meeting. If you are a member of a band or aboriginal community, you may also bring a representative of your band or aboriginal community. The panel will review your concerns and discuss them with you at the meeting. When the review is completed, a letter summarizing the results of the meeting will be sent to you within 14 days after the meeting. The decisions of the agency, once it has completed this formal review process, are final.

For more information on this process please contact CCAS at 905-525-2012.

Child and Family Services Review Board

You may ask the Child and Family Services Review Board (CFSRB) at the Ministry of Children and Youth to review your complaint. In order to do so your complaint must meet one of the following criteria.

You claim that CCAS has:

  • refused to proceed with a complaint
  • failed to respond to your complaint within the required time frame
  • failed to comply with the complaint procedure outlined above
  • not given you an opportunity to be heard regarding a decision affecting your interest or concerns about the service you received
  • failed to provide you with the reasons for a decision that affects your interests.

You may contact the Child and Family Services Review Board if you claim inaccuracy in your file at CCAS. This complaint about file accuracy can only be made after it has been heard by CCAS’s Internal Complaint Review Panel.

Your request for a review at the Child and Family Services Review Board will need to be in writing on a prescribed form available through the Child and Family Services Review Board. This website provides additional information about the CFSRB process.

Contact the Child and Family Services Review Board:

1075 Bay Street, 7th Floor
Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2B1
(416) 327‐0111 or 1‐888‐777-3616
Fax: (416) 327‐4379

The Ontario Child Advocate

Ontario’s Child Advocate provides advocacy services and can receive and respond to complaints from children and youth. If you are a child or youth, you may complain directly to the Advocate about any matter, without beginning or completing a process to complain to a society’s internal complaints review panel.

The Advocate can also conduct investigations.  You can ask for an investigation once you have tried to resolve your complaint through the steps listed above.

Contact the Advocate’s Office:

401 Bay Street, Suite 2200
Toronto, Ontario, M7A 0A6
(416) 325-5669 or 1‐800‐263-2841
Fax: (416) 325-5681

The Office of the French Language Services Commissioner

If you believe that your right to be served in French has not been respected, you may file a complaint with the French Language Services Commissioner.

Contact the French Language Services Commissioner’s Office:

800 Bay Street, Suite 402
Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3A9
(416) 847-1515 or 1‐866‐246-5262

Know Your Legal Rights

Are you or a family member involved with a children’s aid society in Ontario? Here is some information about legal rights and available resources. Please click on the link below.

Legal Rights Resource


Subscribe to our newsletter
We've recently switched the format of our newsletter from a paper version to digital. To get our new monthly newsletter, please fill in the details below.